Youth social action has huge potential to create enjoyable opportunities and skills development for young people, benefitting local people and places.
Big Lottery Fund and the Office for Civil Society have invested £2million this year to fund groups delivering local youth social action opportunities. The aim of this fund is to raise the level and quality of youth social action. Social action involves activities such as campaigning, fundraising and volunteering, all of which enable participants to make a positive difference to their communities.
The Youth Social Action Fund will provide funding of between £1,000 and £5,000 for each project.
- The funding is for community groups working in England.
- This fund is open to registered charities, constituted community groups and other charitable organisations including Social Enterprises and CICs.
- National organisations with local branches (with their own management committee and bank account) can apply.
- New groups that fulfil all the other criteria are welcome to apply.
- Projects do not have to be led by a youth group.
What will Youth Social Action fund?
- The fund is to deliver social action opportunities amongst young people age 10 to 20 years old when the programme begins, or 25 for disabled people.
- Applications can be for a project that lasts up to a year.
- Projects do not have to last a year, e.g. they can be one-off events
- Repeat funding is a possibility.
- Groups should engage young people in ongoing regular volunteering OR demonstrate how another youth-led method will be as effective at engaging young people in social action. (For example regular ongoing volunteering may not be achievable for the young people you engage).
- Core costs are eligible if the other criteria are met, including how the project meets the principles of great youth social action.#
Are there any special conditions?
- Applicants must indicate how many young people they plan to work with over the course of the funded project and arrange for their young people to fill in a standard fund questionnaire available on Survey Monkey on completion of their funded project.
When is the deadline?
7th July 2017
How do I apply?
- To apply please use the CFSurrey Youth Social Action Application form. There is no requirement to submit an expression of interest before applying for this programme.
Full guidance notes can be downloaded here
An example copy of the application form can be downloaded here. Please note all applications must be made online. This form is for information only.